Thursday, January 23, 2014

Intellisense and SSMS

Intellisense in the Query Editor was a wonderful addition to SQL 2008.  I find myself using it even more with SQL 2012.  But as a programmer I just hate to see squiggly red lines under my objects, especially when I'm right and Intellisense is wrong.



This is a common occurrence when working on new database objects.  If you create a new table or column and then start writing a query against it, Intellisense will underline those objects and tell you they don't exist.  This is because Intellisense has a cache of objects that just isn't updated as frequently as we need it to be.

To manually refresh the cache and make those terrible squigglies go away, press the key combination CTRL-SHIFT-R.  You can also use the menu and select Edit -> IntelliSense -> Refresh Local Cache, but I've found this doesn't always resolve the issue right away.  The key combination while the query editor window has focus seems to always do the trick for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment